Sunday April 30th, 2017
Sruth an Iolra and Log an Chaortain, Oughterard, Co. Galway
Together, they form a large area of open mountain bisected by a road and river. The river is uncrossable over most of it’s length. There is a wealth of contour and rock features throughout.
North-facing slopes are generally steeper than south-facing slopes. All areas are strewn with large boulders, up to 5m high. Not all boulders are marked.
There are many linear seasonal watercourses. Normally, these are difficult to make out but, if there is heavy rain, they may require some care to cross.
Runability is generally good. Courses will generally have less than 4% climb.
Map: ISOM standard, printed on waterproof paper
Map scale: 1:10,000 and 1:15,000
Contour Interval: 5m
Survey and Cartography: Padraig Higgins 2012, updated by Pat Healy of Map Masters, 2017
Basemap: Based on lidar survey by the Ordnance Survey of Ireland.
Parking & Bus Transfer
Parking will be at Corribdale car park in Oughterard. Participants will be transported by bus to the competition area. Buses will depart from 1000hrs. Further details and timetable will be available closer to the event.
Control descriptions will be on the map. Control descriptions can be downloaded and printed. Loose control descriptions will not be available on the day.
Start List for Long Distance
Starts are from 1100hrs to 1400hrs. Warm up will be on the road to the start. The Start for Day 2 is close to the Assembly area. Competitors must punch at the start before they begin their courses
Important: Elite competitors must read this information about the elite start process.
There will be 3 start lanes: one for Elites who are using a non-punch start, one for classes using a 1:15000 start and one for classes using a 1:10000 map.
Note: Courses with an A & B version (e.g. 4A and 5A) are the same course. The A version is at 1:15000 and the B version is 1:10000. You must use the correct map for your class, as shown in the table below.
|Lane 1||Lane 2||Lane 3|
|1:15000 (A4)||1:15000 (A4)||1:10000|
|No Start Punch||Start Punch||Start Punch|
|Course 1 M21E
Course 2 W21E
|Course 2 M35
Course 3 M21L, M40L
Course 4A M20A, M18A
Course 5A W21L, W35L
Course 6A W20A, Men’s Short
Course 7A W18A, W40L
|Course 4B M45L, M50L (A3)
Course 5B M16A, M55L (A3)
Course 6B M60L (A4)
Course 7B M65L, W45L (A4)
Course 8 W16A, W50L, W55L, W60L, Women’s Short (A4)
Course 9 W65L, M70, M75, M80, M85 (A4)
Course 9SP W70, W75, W80 (A4)
Course 10 M14,W14 (A4)
Course 11 M12, W12 (A4)
Course 12 M10, W10 (A4)
- Toilets will be available in the Assembly area
- The start and finish are each approximately 400m from the assembly
- There will be no clothing transfer
- A tent will be available for clothes storage in the Assembly area
- Competitors must punch at the finish line and must then proceed to the down load station at the motorhome in the Assembly area.
- Courses close at 1600hr. All runners must finish before this time.
- Hired SI cards may be collected at Motorhome in assembly area. Lost or damaged cards will be charged at €30 each
The following Championship Classes are available: M/W10, 12, 14, 16A, 18E, 20E, 21E, 35L, 40L, 45L, 50L, 55L, 60L, 65L, 70, 75, 80, 85
In addition, the following non-championship classes are available: Men’s Short, Women’s Short
Planner: Martin Flynn WEGO
Controller: Pat Healy CNOC
Food, IOA AGM and Prize Giving
- Further details of meals to be arranged in Oughterard in the Event Centre will be available later.
- The AGM of the Association will be held in Oughterard at 1900hrs and the presentation of prizes will follow.
- Prizes will be awarded on the Sunday evening, April 30th, in the Event Centre.